Friday, October 16, 2015

Experiment Number One: Digestive Enzymes

I'm recording a series of health experiments to see if I can improve my health and feel better, despite asthma, thyroid disease, and other issues.  My first few experiements will be inspired by Isabella Wentz' book, The Root Cause.  Dr. Wentz is a pharmacist who says that she has reversed her thyroid disease.

I am not sure that you can ever truly be cured of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.  It is an autoimmune disease which has a genetic potentiality, but which is triggered by other factors.  A certain amount of people will go into remission naturally.  Most will need lifelong thyroid replacement hormone.  This is especially true for people like me, who have been dealing with the disease for a number of years. I have already experienced damage to my thyroid gland.  I do take levothyroxine.

Having said that, I do believe that giving your body optimal conditions for good health can't hurt. Whether or not I can reverse my Hashimoto's, I do hope that I can ease some of the symptoms that linger despite adequate replacement hormone.  I am recording what works for me and what doesn't, partly for my own memory.  I also thought that this might be helpful for other readers who are on this Hypothyroid journey with me.  Note that I am not a doctor and don't intend to prescribe for anyone.

I'll also be including recipes and menu plans.



Here's Experiment One:  Digestive Enzymes
           Goal:  To improve the problems with reflux acid, poor digestion, low stomach acid, and malabsorption of nutrients often associated with Hashimoto's.
            Risks  Digestive Enzymes can irritate your digestive tract and are not to be taken if you have ulcers.
           Duration of Experiment:  One Day
           Conclusion:  Not for me at this time.  Try again later.
           Why:  The enzymes created acid throughout my entire digestive system, along with esophogal spams and other unpleasant side effects.

Bonne santé!
             

No comments:

Post a Comment